Monday, May 14, 2012

Law on the silver screen

So following on from my post about my favourite law-centric TV shows, I thought I'd post about my favourite movies that take place in the courtroom.

1. Legally Blonde
You may laugh, but Legally Blonde is a legal classic. I was 10 when the original was released and can't quite remember if I was able to see it in the theatre. I definitely saw the sequel with some friends at the movies. I loved Legally Blonde. Elle was everything a young girl wanted to be... she was a Barbie doll! As the story progressed we learn that Elle is also intelligent and it shatters the perception that pretty girly-girls are dumb. In addition, it encourages us to have a healthy interest in things outside of the law; Elle would not have been successful in court if she didn't have the interest in hair and beauty.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird
Yes, no list of legal movies would be complete without this classic. I couldn't tell you exactly when I first read the book,  but I believe I was 9 or 10. I loved it and seeing the movie made me love the story even more. In high school we studied the book (and movie) and I loved it a whole lot more. While I understood that book as a child, I had a better grasp of the finer points. I'm sure every law student has seen the movie and been inspired by the courtroom scene. While it wasn't the reason I chose to study law, the movie certainly inspires me and Atticus is the type of lawyer I want to be, if I can't be Elle Woods!

3. The Castle
I'm not sure whether this movie was released outside of Australia, but it is most definitely a classic. A man's home is his castle, and the Kerrigan family wanted to protect their castle. Not only is it a great Australian film, there are many references to fundamental Australian constitutional law cases throughout the movie as the family fought to save their home. In my first year when we had to watch some sort of movie or TV show that centered on the law, I picked The Castle. I didn't really pick up on many of the references, but on watching it last year I realised how it would have been a great study tool for constitutional law!

4. Kramer vs Kramer
I have a list of movies that I have always wanted to see, most of them 'classics'. Kramer vs Kramer is one of these. For those who haven't seen the film, the film shows the course of a couple's divorce and the impact on those in their lives, particularly their young son. The custody battle is central and actually inspired me to consider taking the family law elective which I had previously maintained I would never take. It is a great movie and extremely heartwarming.

5. Miracle on 34th Street
I was 5 years old when Mara Wilson starred in Matilda, the movie based on Roald Dahl's book. I loved it and I saw myself in her. We had a similar haircut and she was young, just like me. Her remake of the Natalie Wood classic was released two years earlier than Matilda, but I hadn't seen it until afterwards. It was undoubtedly the first time I had ever seen the law in a movie or TV show and was heartwarming. While the movie hints that Santa is a construct of modern society (something with which I disagree... he still leaves me presents under the tree), as a young child I did not see this and rather just enjoyed the idea that a young girl got to hang out with Santa Claus! In more recent years I saw the original and loved it so much. Definitely a legal classic!


3 comments:

  1. Whoa OG, a whole lot of posts dropped into my reader at once. Excellent.

    Exams are killing me to, I've gotten to the point now, at the tail end, where I've gotten incredibly insouciant about the whole exam jazz. Bet you'll smash them, however, as you seem to have studied like a worker bee on crack.

    I don't agree with your list for its absence of '...And Justice For All' with Al Pacino. Yeah, it's not exactly a classic or amazing or anything but I thought it was pretty funny and amusing. It's about a deadbeat criminal defence lawyer who has to defend a judge he absolutely despises. In the ending scene, however (spoilers) he blows a gasket in the courtroom and starts screaming that his client the judge is guilty. The trial judge protests, 'You're out of order', and Pacino yells back, 'No, *you're* out of order! This whole *courtroom's* out of order!!' Fin.

    I think the Castle is great too... I showed it to my American boyfriend to illustrate what a 'bogan' was. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've been writing them and then realised I had clicked save instead of publish so I just went through and published them. Oops!

      Delete
  2. Also The Castle was rather spoiled for me by my law student mind knowing that the Kerrigan's case would likely have failed in the High Court -- honestly if that case became precedent s 51(xxxi) would be effectively useless, what should or could the airport have done? etc etc.

    Also, the AAT wouldn't have acted in such an exaggerated adversarial/black letter fashion.

    But hey, it's just a movie... I'll chill.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?