Saturday, May 12, 2012

Quest for Distraction!

When I was in High School, I had a theory that if I were to watch, or even just listen to a movie or tv show, while doing an assignment I would avoid other forms of distraction. My theory was that doing so allowed a part of my brain to be distracted, but only minimally, allowing the rest of my brain to focus on my actual task.

Yeah, I worked out a way to justify watching episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Gilmore Girls. I knew deep down that it wasn't realistic but I liked the justification. The thing is, as I've gotten older, this habit has not subsided, but become more of an issue.

It was, at one point, almost impossible for me to study without something on in the background. In a way, my theory from high school rings true - if I have a TV show playing in the background, I'm not surfing the web instead of studying and I probably do get more work done. Most of the time I don't actually watch the show, rather listen in the background much like music, but I'm sure it's not the best way to study.

I like the background noise and find music much too distracting. As a music nerd from a prior life, back when I wanted to be a conductor and study music, the classical music people insist is perfect for studying distracts me. I often find myself  tapping my feet, singing along or conducting. - not a great way to study either, especially in the library. My much loved punk-rock music doesn't work either as it is best listened to loudly and that never works well in earphones. Pop is too distracting and leads to thoughts of gossip and has me going straight to google to find out all about Carly Rae Jepson or whoever the latest diva is. Indie music is a little distracting too and often leads to google. There was a time where I could study to Jack Johnson, but that is now almost impossible, with the music forever associated with trying to sleep in fits of insomnia.

As I think about why music doesn't work for me, I wonder if watching a movie or TV show for background noise is such a bad thing?

After doing a little research, my suspected fears were confirmed - you shouldn't do anything but focus on study. While studying in front of the TV or while listening to music isn't a new thing, the computer is terrible for the ease of engaging in non-study related activities. However, studies have drawn a distinction between passive multi-tasking, like listening to music (or movies) and active multi-tasking, like surfing the web and facebook. Not surprisingly, active multi-tasking is worse for you.

From the LA Times, I learnt:
"What it might suggest is that if you learn these things while you're distracted, then your ability to generalize that knowledge might not be as good," said Russell Poldrack, an associate professor of psychology. "Even if you can learn under multi-tasking, it can change how you learn."

Poldrack also said that "The bottom line is that active distractions involved in multi-tasking are going to reduce one's ability to learn."

However, Poldrack and others have been unable to determine whether listening to something like music is such a bad thing, particularly if it is functioning as white noise to drown out other distractions.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?