Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dear Readers

Dear Readers,


Sorry I haven't been in touch lately. I could blame my studies (but we all know it is summer break and there isn't any studying going on), a busy social life (but I'm a law student) or any multitude of things but I'll just be honest: it is difficult to write about being a law student when there is no studying going on. That's right, I've spent the break lounging on a chair by the pool... or at least I have in my mind!


So what have I been up to since my last exam in November? I just returned from a two-week trip to the United States with my family so much of my break has been monopolised by preparing and unwinding from the trip.


Other than my trip, I've tried to do much more reading than I have been able to do throughout the year. At the end of my 2nd year of study, so at the end of 2010, I began reading Les Misérables. My aim was to finally finish the epic tome, but unfortunately this has not happened. You see, for my January birthday in 2011 I received my amazing Kindle! I love it so very much. Unfortunately, I found that the translation of Les Mis that I was reading was some modern fancy-schmancy version (The Julie Rose one if you're wondering). Now this version didn't seem to be available on my kindle and, being halfway through (okay, maybe more like a quarter of the way through) I didn't want to change to a different translation. Les Mis was relegated to the bookshelf and I haven't managed to continue with it.


A book I did finally manage to read was A Private Life by the one and only Michael Kirby. I thoroughly enjoyed this read. In fact, there was one particular day during the time I was reading it that I had tickets to see Elton John in Brisbane. When I left the Brisbane Entertainment Centre I, like all dutiful Gen Y-er went straight onto Facebook and found that Civil Unions had been passed in Queensland. I felt that this was slightly poetic and will always remember what was going on for me the day that Civil Unions were passed. 


While I haven't exactly posted anything for some time, I have a number of posts I've been trying to write. The main about what your plan should be if you happen to fail a subject. I'll be honest! I've been working on that since December so be prepared!


Of course, it would be amiss of me to write to you without mentioning something fabulous! When I logged on and noticed the huge traffic spike I was a little confused until I found Survive Law's list of Australia's Best Law Student Blogs! Yes dear readers, I made the list! Even further, I love what they said about my blog:
Law school can be a tad scary, but it’s always nice to know that you’re not the only one trying to navigate it. We love Obiter Girl’s musings about obsessive planning, procrastination, coffee, the virtues of flash cards, beautiful stationery, law essay competitions and all the other things that make our law student world go round.
While I'm so very excited about this I'm also a little annoyed at myself for not having updating so regularly over the past few months! Hopefully someone reading this found my blog through Survive Law (one of my go-to sites for most things) and will stick around for the joys of a new school year! Hi there! And yes, that was aimed at you! No, not you! The one behind you with the brown hair!


So thank you to Survive Law and the wonderful people of the blawg-o-sphere! I must also congratulate all the others who made the list! I must say that I already read quite a few and have now added some more great reads to my feed!


Anyway, this letter has been long enough and the postman, or rather my pillow, is waiting.


Lots of Love,


Obiter Girl


PS. I promise to write more often in the future! 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warm welcome, 't'was encouraging. having just failed constitutional during summer school, your thoughts re what to do if you fail a subject are keenly anticipated. With sharpie in hand, I eagerly await..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! As you know, we need more Australian law students blogging!

      Knowing that at least one person is awaiting my words about what to do once you fail! I've certainly been there and it is a bit of a taboo among law students.

      Delete

What do you think?