Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Plan!

So as I've suggested previously, I'm going to put together my plan for this semester and post it here so I'm accountable. While you and I may not be acutally hanging out on a regular basis physically, I'd like to think that you'll be stopping by for chats every now and then! Whether or not you do, and whether or not anyone reads, here is my plan for Semester 1, 2012.

From readings, to classes and even exercise! It's all in here! Yes, that's right folks, I'm planning to plan every inch of my life from here on in. This is my letter to myself, here for you all to read so I'm accountable.




Readings: GET THEM DONE!
Yes, it is difficult! Yes, it takes forever. Yes, you have that need to take ridiculously long notes on everything you read. This semester, reduce the essay you seem to write on every single assigned chapter. Try to condense notes as you go because getting a huge writer's cramp after only reading a page or two is a surefire way to ensure you don't keep up with assigned readings through the rest of the semester! Sometimes, just reading (and profusely highlighting) can be enough. At least you will have looked at the text.

Cases: Probably should read some!
Yes, cases are annoying to read. Make sure you actually read any starred cases. I know you started to read cases more often last year and for that I am very proud of you. Great work reading them for your assignments! Remember how much you actually learnt from those? Well imagine how much you'd learn from a case assigned to you! Imagine how useful a case that has more than a brief mention of the topic you're studying could be! Well think about that next time you groan at reading a case. I'll let you slide if you occasionally look cases up on the internet for summaries, but these must not be cases that are obviously important ones.

Classes: They have them for a reason!
I know sometimes it rains and the last thing you want to do is to go to class. Please go! I know this year will be tough living off campus and it will be easy to slack off. Well guess what! When it comes to exam time you will be regretting not going to classes! Don't you dare think that you can just watch the recordings later! DON'T DO IT! You won't save time by listening to lectures at double speed! The only time it is ever acceptable is if you're deathly ill. Also remember tutorials! If they weren't important, they wouldn't make you sign on for one! I know the times you have for tutorials aren't the greatest, but you will already be on campus for lectures (because you're going... right?) so it would be silly not to show up.

Exercise: Get back into it!
I know the whole falling down the stairs thing complicated your exercise regime last year, but get back into exercising! I know you've planned tennis, netball and running club and hopefully you will continue with those! Stay at it! Remember how good you feel when you run! Remember how great you felt last year exercising all the time! Also remember how easy it is to memorise stuff when you're running on a treadmill?! Hopefully you can find one to run on somewhere that you can speak to yourself!

I know this semester is full of changes. I know it's going to be a huge shock, but you can do it! Just follow the plan! Live every day from your diary! I know it's all pretty and highlighted! Keep using it!

I know that once you find something that works you like to stick with it. While your plan might work great, remember to evaluate it regularly! Sometimes things change. Remember that just writing something in a planner does not mean you have done it! Planning to do something is not doing it! If circumstances change, like if you get a job (or a boyfriend) there is a good chance your availability will change. You can't expect to have the luxury of the time you have to work with. Work out what time you have and what works.

So please, remember to follow the plan! Plan out each day, both as a general template and then adapt it, week by week based on the workload. That said, don't be afraid to work ahead!

So here is my plan, for all to see. I hope posting it helps me stay accountable, and maybe even help some other people out! Once I work out my own personal timetable I plan to post it. Maybe that might help me stay on track, or at least stop me from blogging when I've said I would be studying!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?