Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Case of the Missing Textbook

Image: healingdream / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

So here we go with another semester. Into the third week and the work load has already begun. For a change my study has already begun as well.

Through school, and even early into university, I always thought it was an unofficial rule to let students be a little slack in the first week. Obviously someone forgot to inform my Contracts lecturer! For week one we had 2 chapters and a multitude of cases to read. To this day I haven't entirely finished one of those chapters for Contract week one. I have a good excuse though... I swear!

My excuse? A missing textbook! (Cue Law and Order sound effect)

At the end of last semester I carefully packed up my books and the older ones from first year were put into a box and taken to my grandparents. I was careful that I didn't pack any I could possibly need and wrote the subject names on the box to remind me what was there. I was at my grandparents  the Sunday before classes started picking up my computer and printer and my father asked if I needed the books:

Me: "Oh no, I was very careful in packing it"
Dad: "Are you sure? Just check again!"
Me: "See I wrote the subjects on the box. I don't need any of these"
Dad: "Okay! Let's get going"

On Tuesday I tore my room apart searching and I couldn't find either of my contract books or my old criminal book which I suspected I would need. I searched the college storage room and there was still no sign of the books. At 8:45pm I rushed to the Law Library and loaned out a copy of the text book just in case. On Wednesday I was starting to panic. My class was on Thursday afternoon and I always prefer to do the readings before class otherwise there is a chance I won't do them. I made a list of all the bags, boxes and crates I had packed and, checking each potential hiding spot, I still was textbook-less. At 3:30pm I rang my grandparents to check they were at home. The last thing I wanted was to drive across town in the after-school madness only to find an empty house and no way in. Thankfully they were.

I watched Bold and the Beautiful with my grandmother and had an early dinner. My grandparents are Italian, so the meal which only really lasted 15 minutes filled me for at least a week! At the end of the meal my grandfather put the books in my car and I headed off.

I began the drive, terrified that I wouldn't find the books. I was so fearful that after 5 minutes I had to pull over. Some tape had been placed on the top, so any onlookers would have seen me furiously stabbing something in the boot! The top layer of books were old politics texts and I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I get to the bottom of the box and, thankfully, the books were there. They were laughing at me.

So that's the reason why I still haven't finished that chapter on rescission (and why spell-check had to spell it for me). I'll read it... maybe.



1 comment:

  1. Best of luck for the new semester! :-)

    Btw, I have added you to my blogroll over at Law Actually!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?