Thursday, August 11, 2011

Getting Started Early

Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos

Time and time again I've been told to start studying early. I always try to start early, organising notes and the like. I always find it difficult to continue studying and keeping everything organised when the end of semester is so far away. The first week always goes okay, but week two and three are when it just becomes too difficult. I make flash cards and each semester I try to make them as the semester progresses, yet it's just a little to difficult. I'm not sure why. Maybe I secretly enjoy the end-of-semester stress... scrap that thought!

Starting assessment early is another thing that is difficult, but really quite important. In my International Relations classes I've found it so important to start working on essays early, if for no reason other than finding the resources needed. I've learnt the hard way that starting an essay a few nights before it is due isn't a good idea. Sure, you might not do too badly. You might even get a great grade. You'll just want to die from all the stress that you won't care about the grade!

So when I discovered an essay topic for one of my subjects had been uploaded last week I immediately began. It felt a little ridiculous, considering it isn't due until mid-September, but after I had a few pages of notes and had found some cases to use I felt like I was way ahead.

In a way, I think starting early like this is just as dangerous as starting late! I know that some of the most difficult and stressful assignments have been those that I've started early, fooling myself into thinking that  I'm ahead of everyone else. Surely I'm not the only one, right?

I'm going to try really hard not to let that happen this time! I'm not sure how it'll go, but I'm certainly going to try.

2 comments:

  1. Starting early definitely gives you an advantage...I can vouch for that from my first year as an undergrad!

    Well done you for being so motivated! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael. I'm not so sure how long it will last but here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?